JOIN AN AMAZING TEAM. DO AMAZING WORK.
Reading Is Fundamental is committed to a literate America by inspiring a passion for reading among all children, providing quality content to make an impact and engaging communities in the solution to give every child the fundamentals for success. As the nation's largest children's literacy non-profit, Reading Is Fundamental maximizes every contribution to ensure all children have the ability to read and succeed.
Have you cut your teeth in the major donor space and looking for an opportunity to advance? Do you feel energized by meeting new people, hosting events WHILE doing good? Are you looking for a national opportunity with an established organization that is growing faster than it can keep up with? Join our team and help fight the children’s literacy crisis impacting communities across the country! Reporting directly to the Senior Director of Annual Giving, the Major Gifts Officer will activate a major donor program than has grown over 200% since 2020 by managing a portfolio of current major donors and major gift prospects and overseeing the development and execution of a multi-year capital campaign.
The Major Gifts Officer will grow and expand the scope and scale of RIF's major gift efforts and formulate strategy and implementation action plans to achieve major gift fundraising goals. This includes but is not limited to: hosting events, lunches, and small engagements with circles of RIF major donors in various cities across the country, building relationships and activating surrogates to cultivate their social circles. The position will work collaboratively with the CEO, RIF leadership, our major donor support agency, and other key stakeholders.
- Directly manages a portfolio of approximately 125 prospects and major donors through frequent in-person, email, and phone engagement, and solicitation.
- Ultimately responsible for a goal of raising a minimum of $1-3M annually.
- Identify current supporters for larger philanthropic engagement; create and implement individualized moves management plans.
- Prepare proposals, solicitations, and other correspondence for donors and prospects.
- Plan and manage all aspects of outreach events for donors and prospects in the portfolio in collaboration with the relevant staff.
- Support the development, growth, and stewardship of RIF's planned giving pipeline by educating donors about legacy gift opportunities and soliciting planned gifts when appropriate.
- Travel is expected 30-50% of the time to achieve a face-to-face visits goal. Some travel will be outside the immediate DC region.
- 5+ years of experience in fundraising or a closely related area, involving the solicitation of major gifts; or an equivalent combination of experience and education.
- Bachelor's degree from an accredited college or university
- Maintains working knowledge of current trends in major gift fundraising and best practices.
- Experience soliciting 5-6+ figure donations, both in-person and virtually
- A proven track record of converting prospective donors into major donors.
- Excellent interpersonal skills to relate to donors, volunteers, colleagues, and leadership.
- Self-motivated (a "self-starter"), innovative, and having the ability to work with considerable independence within the context of a team environment and a network of relationships.
- Superior written and oral communication, negotiating, organizational, analytical, and fundraising skills, including the ability to interpret financial information and manage data.
- Proficient in MS Office, especially Word, and Excel, as well as Raisers' Edge (RE).
- Familiarity with financial planning, tax, and charitable gift laws, and planned giving vehicles and methods.
- Capital Campaign experience preferred.
Hybrid position Located in Washington, DC.
To Apply: Please visit this link to submit your cover letter including your salary requirement, and resume for consideration.
RIF supports our employees' work-life balance. You'll enjoy a hybrid work schedule with at least three days in our Washington, D.C. office and telework available on Wednesdays and Fridays.
RIF offers a comprehensive benefits package including health, dental and vision plans, generous annual leave, a 403(b) plan with company contribution and company paid life and disability. RIF supports our employees' work life balance and offers a hybrid work model along with flexible work schedules.
To protect the health and well-being of our colleagues and maintain the safety of the communities where we operate, we follow CDC, federal and local guidance to help minimize the spread of COVID-19. RIF requires all employees be vaccinated, and all newly hired employees must be fully vaccinated before their start date. Proof of vaccination is required and will be kept confidential.
RIF is an equal opportunity employer.